File ITR online via digital signature certificate
When it comes to filing Income Tax Returns ITR online, it is a must to obtain a digital signature certificate DSC which helps to complete the verification process electronically
When it comes to filing Income Tax Returns (ITR) online, it is a must to obtain a digital signature certificate (DSC) which helps to complete the verification process electronically.
DSC is a digital format of a physical certificate which can be presented electronically to prove an individual’s identity, to sign certain documents digitally or access information on the Internet.
It contains details such as owner’s name, serial number, information about certifying authority along with the digital signature and it comes in the form of a USB token.
The digital signature is issued by a licensed certifying authority (CA) under Section 24 of the Indian I-T Act, 2000. A DSC is issued within three to seven working days with some CAs also issuing it on the same day provided all the required details are submitted.
A DSC holds a validity of one or two years and is legally admissible in a court of law.
To register DSC with I-T dept -
- Using your username (PAN) and password, log on to Income Tax portal (www.incometaxfiling.gov.in)
- Choose ‘Register Digital Signature’ under the ‘Profile Settings’ tab
- Download ‘DSC Management Utility’
- Generate the signature file (USB token) and follow the instructions
- Attach the generated file and click on submit
To upload ITR online using DSC -
- Fill out the form and save it on your system
- Click on to the Submit return option after logging on to the tax department portal
- Fill out the assessment year and choose 'Yes’ for digital signing the file
- Upload the DSC and generate the signature file
- Authenticate the e-filing return and finish the process.