Bakery burger turns fatal, several critical

Bakery burger turns fatal, several critical
Highlights

Bakery sealed. One woman died while 19 others were hospitalised for suspected food-poisoning after they ate burgers from a bakery at Hafeezbabanagar in Barkas.

One woman died while 19 others were hospitalised for suspected food-poisoning after they ate burgers from a bakery at Hafeezbabanagar in Barkas. The GHMC officials sealed the bakery on Wednesday after sending samples of its products for analysis.

The victims who bought burgers from Bake Well Bakery on Saturday complained of acute stomach ache and nausea, after consuming the items. A day later they were admitted to the nearest government hospital at Barkas. Eleven out of 20 patients, who were in a critical state, were shifted to Fever Hospital at Nallakunta on the same day. The other nine victims are from two families.
Amena Anjum, most of whose family members are at the hospital, said, “We ate the burger on Saturday afternoon and suddenly fell sick that night. Everyone in the family who came out to spend some good time fell sick including my husband, my sisters and my kids -- one a seven-year-old and the other a two- year-old."
Nusrat Jabeen, who also went along with her seven-year-old and four-year-old kids, fell sick and went to a private hospital immediately. But as they could not afford further treatment, they shifted to the Barkas government hospital on Tuesday evening.
K Shankar, superintendent, Fever Hospital, however, denied reports that one of the victims died due to food poisoning.
“The 20-year-old woman died because she had seizures (fits) and it was not due to food poisoning. She was complaining of vomiting and loose motions,” he said.
GHMC seales bakery
On Wednesday, food safety officers along with Venkat Ramana, assistant medical officer of health, Circle No 4, GHMC, visited the bakery and collected samples of chicken burger, mutton burger and plum cake. All these samples have been sent to the AP State Food Laboratory for bacteriological analysis.
Y Venkata Ramana, AMOH, Circle 4, said, “After we received a complaint, we inspected the bakery for its health standards. The kitchen standards were not up to the mark. We have currently sealed the bakery until the results come from the lab.” They civic authorities also visited the victims at the hospital.
Ramesh Kotwal, inspector, Kanchanbagh police station, said they had registered a case in connection with the incident under relevant sections of The Prevention of Food Adulteration Act & Rules (PFA).
"No one has been arrested so far. Further investigations are underway," he said, adding that the statements of those affected were recorded.
Doctors warn against consuming street food in summer.
As the mercury rises, doctors warn of more cases of food poisoning being. Cases of dysentery and nausea are commonly reported due to severe heat conditions. People who are frequently eating out are susceptible to it.
“A majority of food poisoning cases are reported after consuming food and liquids sold on the roadside ‘bandis’, marriages and parties. In majority of cases, street food is the culprit for food poisoning. Food gets stale quickly in summer and people should be careful about it,” said Dr Jayakumari.
Show Full Article
Download The Hans India Android App or iOS App for the Latest update on your phone.
More Stories


Top